Monday, March 5, 2018

Gordon Ramsey -- Interview

How often do you get to cook at home for your family? What do you like to cook for them?

It's rare that I am at home to cook on a weekend evening, so my wife normally takes control with the kids' dinner. On the weekend it's my turn. I rarely do anything fancy. If I'm cooking for the children, I'll make a pasta or rice-based dish. If it's just for my and I, then perhaps a beautiful steak and a simple salad.

It seems that personally, you are pretty tough. For example, you run a marathon for a children's charity every year. Is toughness both physical, emotional, whatever a job requirement for a chef?

Yes. If you want to make it in the kitchen, you have to be tough both emotionally and physically. When I was training I was lucky enough to go and work with Joel Robuchon and Guy Savoy in Franc, and I had it kicked out of me there. It was incredibly tough, but it took me to another level. It taught me true passion for my craft and made me learn each area of the kitchen until I could do it with my eyes closed. I had to prove myself ten times more than any of the French boys, but it made me a better chef in the long run.



Have you had to deal with picky eaters in your family? 

No. We've brought the children up to be willing to try different things and they love it. I don't mean feeding them truffles and caviar, but encouraging them to try different fruits and vegetables and a variety of flavors and textures.

Do your children like to cook? 

They love helping out in the kitchen. They're growing up fast and getting to the stage where they want to be more responsible. Cooking is a great way to give them that extra freedom.

What are three ingredients you can't live without? 

Maldon salt, butter, and fresh herbs.

What do you consider to be the most underrated food?

Celeriac. It's one of the ugliest vegetables around. It's absolutely hideous looking. Perhaps that's why it's so underrated. Despite it's ugly exterior, it's absolutely delicious within. It's great for soups, and chips or grated raw in salad.
Is there any food you wont eat?

and ready meal such as frozen trays. It's so easy to prepare a quick meal using fresh produce, such as a simple stir-fry, but people still resort to ready meals that all taste exactly the same.

What would be your last supper?

Sea bass is the king of fish, so my idea of the perfect last meal would be a beautiful fillet, pan-fried with a light sorrel sauce, or served roasted with artichokes and a chive creme fraiche.

Interview

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Is Sous Vide Cooking? - By Katy Medium-- Ezine

Perfect sous vide steak  |  Source What is Sous Vide Cooking? Ever wondered how chefs of high-end restaurants can get stea...